Is your hair frizzy, rough, and unmanageable? If it is, then your hair is telling you that just shampooing and conditioning is not enough for your hair. It’s time to get it some extra protection by using hair serums. These relatively unknown, unadvertised products that most people do not know much about are the manna for getting beautiful, lustrous hair and we are going to list the best hair serums in India at the moment!
To give a basic idea, hair serums are silicon-based creams that are applied to hair strands to make them smooth and shiny. How do they do this? Well, the silicon in the cream wraps around the hair to protect it from dust, grime, pollution and UV rays in the atmosphere, giving it an instant gloss.
The silicon also reflects light, thereby providing a shine to hair. Some hair serums are hair nourishers. They penetrate hair strands and give them that extra boost of minerals that help them look beautiful. But most hair serums form a protective layer that does not allow any dirt to stick to the hair, and so, hair looks clean and good always.
If this sounds interesting, let’s understand a little more about hair serums.
How to choose the serum that is best for your hair?
There are serums with different properties and ingredients, made specifically for different types of hair.
- If you have extremely dry hair, choose a serum that is enriched with essential oils like castor, rosemary, or argan oils. Vitamin E oil is also good here. Some serums can be applied overnight on dry hair that condition and moisturize them by the morning. Just be sure that the overnight serums are cream-based and not oil-based, as they can otherwise make your hair look flat, instead of bouncy.
- If you have recurring split ends, it is absolutely essential to use a serum which is keratin enriched. Keratin helps in rebuilding the natural fabric of hair and keeps hair healthy.
- Does your day involve getting out in the sun and pollution daily? Then you need a serum with oils like jojoba or lavender. These oils are incredibly light and absorb into the strands quickly. They also hydrate against the heat and give your hair a protective sheen.
Also check the best Sunscreens for all type of skin!
- For those with curly hair, it can be quite confusing to choose which serum to apply. The hair being naturally thick and strong, you will need to manage the frizziness in case of dry hair, and also add bounce to an oily mane. Pick serums with the required properties that will best suit you. Hydrating oils like jojoba, argan, coconut, almond, and Moroccan oils are good for dry hair. Rosemary, lavender, lemon oils work well with oily hair. Serums can also help curly hair remain smooth, silky, and untangled.
- For chemically treated, colored, straightened, and processed hair, choose a serum with hydrating and nourishing properties like coconut, jojoba, and tea tree oil. It is best to ask your stylist for the right product as treated hair requires special care.
Best hair serums in India
1. Streax Hair Serum
2. L’Oreal Paris Smooth Intense Serum
3. Streax Pro Hair Serum Vita Gloss
4. Biotique Bio Mountain Ebony Vitalizing Serum
5. L’Oreal Paris Total Repair 5 Serum
6. Pantene Open Hair Miracle
7. The Body Shop Grapeseed Hair Serum
8. MATRIX Biolage 6 In 1 Smooth Proof Deep Smoothing Serum
9. Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser
10. Khadi Herbal Hair Serum
Things to note about Hair Serums
- Hair serum should be applied after you have shampooed your hair. Your hair should be towel dried but wet for the serum to fix on the hair. Just make sure its not dripping wet. Apply it before blow-drying or styling. The serum also protects hair from the heat of the hairdryer this way. However, some serums can be applied on dry hair, to be used when you are styling your hair.
- Take a little blob of the serum (pea-sized) and rub it in between your palm. Then work from the end tips of your hair upwards till the midsection. If you need more, then repeat with more serum and only apply to the hair strands. The serum is not a scalp product, so it should not be rubbed on to the scalp in any case unless otherwise specified. The silicon can form a layer over the scalp, leading to blocked pores and accumulation of oil on the head. For medium-sized hair, 1-2 drops, and for longer, thicker hair, 3-4 drops of serum should be enough.
- Many serums come in a slightly thick form, so rubbing in between your palm before application really helps in melting it and ensuring even application.
- Do not wipe your hair after applying the serum again. You could blow dry it or wait for it to air dry. You could comb it in the style you choose, and your hair will stay that way even after drying. This is the special property of serum, as it listens to you and your comb. When you apply oil, and then wash your hair, the oil still enters your hair cuticles and changes the composition of hair strands. Thus your hair twists and turns in any way it chooses after drying unless you blow dry it specifically. But serum keeps your hair the way you want it, as it coats your hair and does not change its nature.
- Most well-known brands manufacture the three-step formula in hair care. That is, the shampoo, conditioner, and hair serum are formulated in a way that complements each other. So go for the complete package rather than having different products from different brands.
- Hair serums have a limited time frame. If you are outdoors in areas that see heavy dust and pollution, serum application can only protect you for so long. Regular washes and applications are necessary to keep your hair looking good. Hair can be washed twice or thrice a week, depending on its condition.